A Classic vegetable biryani is a perfect dish for any occasion. Long grain basmati rice and assorted vegetables in a spicy gravy .
Whether veg or non -veg, a biryani is first and foremost a rice dish that stands or falls on the fluffiness of its rice..so give it try and enjoy!!
- Basmati Rice -2cups /Soaked
- Tomato -1 /chopped
- Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
- Whole spices-cumin,cinnamon ,black and green cardamom,cloves,star anise
- Cottage cheese-1/2 cup
- Potato-1/cut in cubes
- Carrot -1/chopped
- Soya chunks-1/2 cup
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Curd :2-3 tbspn
- Red chilly powder:2-3 tsp
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Green chilly -2
- Salt to taste
- Green peas-1/2cup
- Oil :2-3 tbspn
- Stir fry cottage cheese and potato cubes and set aside
- Now in a wok add 2tbspn of oil and as it heats up add cumin seeds2tsp and cinnamon stick and then to it add diced onions
- Keep frying until golden brown then add ginger garlic paste and after a minute add tomatoes
- As tomatoes turn mushy add in chilly powder ,coriander powder and salt and mix well
- As oil oozes out a little add curd and cook for 3-4 mins
- Now add in all the veggies and green chillies except cottage cheese.
- Add little water and cook until veggies soften and cook and all water dries up completely
- Meanwhile in a pan add water ,all of the whole spices and soaked rice along with salt , mint and coriander leaves and cook until 90%done
- Strain rice and take off all whole spices with a spoon or spatula
- Now layer the rice on to completely cooked veggie mixture without moving or turning it much with spatula otherwise rice will break and would mess up your biryani
- Add a little yellow colour or saffron dipped in 2-3 tsp ofmilk and then place fried cottage cheese andcoriander leaves
- Cover and cook on very low flame for 15 -20mins
- Serve with papad , chutney,pickle andcurd and enjoy!!