A Classic vegetable biryani is a perfect dish for any occasion. Long grain basmati rice and assorted vegetables in a spicy gravy .
Whether veg or non -veg, a biryani is first and foremost a rice dish that stands or falls on the fluffiness of its rice..so give it try and enjoy!!
- Basmati Rice -2cups /Soaked
- Tomato -1 /chopped
- Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
- Whole spices-cumin,cinnamon ,black and green cardamom,cloves,star anise
- Cottage cheese-1/2 cup
- Potato-1/cut in cubes
- Carrot -1/chopped
- Soya chunks-1/2 cup
- Chopped coriander and mint leaves
- Cumin seeds-2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick -1
- Curd :2-3 tbspn
- Red chilly powder:2-3 tsp
- Coriander powder-2 tsp
- Green chilly -2
- Salt to taste
- Green peas-1/2cup
- Oil :2-3 tbspn
- Stir fry cottage cheese and potato cubes and set aside
- Now in a wok add 2tbspn of oil and as it heats up add cumin seeds2tsp and cinnamon stick and then to it add diced onions
- Keep frying until golden brown then add ginger garlic paste and after a minute add tomatoes
- As tomatoes turn mushy add in chilly powder ,coriander powder and salt and mix well
- As oil oozes out a little add curd and cook for 3-4 mins
- Now add in all the veggies and green chillies except cottage cheese.
- Add little water and cook until veggies soften and cook and all water dries up completely
- Meanwhile in a pan add water ,all of the whole spices and soaked rice along with salt , mint and coriander leaves and cook until 90%done
- Strain rice and take off all whole spices with a spoon or spatula
- Now layer the rice on to completely cooked veggie mixture without moving or turning it much with spatula otherwise rice will break and would mess up your biryani
- Add a little yellow colour or saffron dipped in 2-3 tsp ofmilk and then place fried cottage cheese andcoriander leaves
- Cover and cook on very low flame for 15 -20mins
- Serve with papad , chutney,pickle andcurd and enjoy!!
Chicken biryani is the delicious delicacy in which the rice is cooked with the aromatic spices by layering it with marinated chicken pieces.
This dish is made in many different styles and is a definite try out recipe …
- Onion-3/Diced and deep fried
- Ginger garlic paste-3-4tsp
- Tomato-1/medium(paste with 3 green chillies)
- Desi ghee:2-3 tsp
- Coriander leaves -few
- Mint leaves- few
- Lemon juice-1 lemon
- Red chilly powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder-3tsp
- Biryani masala:4-5
- Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fennel seeds-2tsp
- Cumin seeds-2tsp
- Cinnamon stick -2
- Green cardamom:4-5
- Black Cardamom:2-3
- Jaiphal /javitri(Nutmeg/Mace )- little of both
- Milk -1/2cup
- Food colour-Orangeor red and yellow mixed
- Kewra water -few drops
- Take chicken in a bowl and to it add the dry spices ,gingergarlic paste,few coriander leaves and mint leaves ,curd,2tbspn oil, tomato chilly paste,fried onions and a pinch of red food colour.
- Marinate for an hour atleast or more if you can.
- In a pan heat water 5-6 cups and to it add all whole spices,few mint and coriander leaves and salt.
- Bring it to a boil and then remove all the whole spices and leaves and then add rice and let it boil.
- Layer marinated chicken at thr base of a wok and then add a layer of rice which is 20-30% cooked(less than half cooked)
- Then place another layer of marinated Chicken and top with 80% rice cooked layer.
- Add little milk ,fried onions ,desi ghee and orange foodcolour and cover and cook in medium flame for 15mins and then low flame for 10-15 mins and close the gas flame.
- Now heat a tawa and place over it and kerp covered for few mins
- Add a little keera water for extra aroma
- Serve hot 😍😋